Sennheiser is renowned for its high-quality audio equipment, and the e904 is no exception. Specifically designed for drum miking, the e904 promises precision and clarity in capturing the dynamic nuances of percussion instruments. In this review, we’ll explore the specifications, pros and cons, overall rating, consider similar products, and conclude with our final thoughts on the Sennheiser e904.
- Dynamic microphone with a cardioid polar pattern.
- Wide frequency response ranging from 40 Hz to 18 kHz, tailored for drum miking.
- Compact and rugged design with a reinforced metal casing for durability.
- MZH 604 drum clamp for easy and secure mounting on drum rims.
- High sensitivity for capturing the nuances of drum sounds with precision.
Sound Pressure Level (SPL) Handling:
- High SPL handling capability, allowing it to handle loud sound sources without distortion.
- XLR connector for reliable and balanced connectivity.
Pros and Cons:
Tailored for Drum Miking:
- The e904 is purpose-built for drum miking, delivering exceptional clarity and accuracy in capturing the nuances of percussion instruments.
- The rugged metal casing ensures durability and longevity, making it suitable for the rigors of live performances and studio use.
- The compact design and drum clamp make it easy to position the microphone on drum rims, allowing for versatile placement.
Cardioid Polar Pattern:
- The cardioid pattern focuses on the sound source while minimizing background noise, ideal for isolating individual drums in a kit.
Wide Frequency Response:
- The wide frequency response captures the full range of drum sounds, from the deep thud of a kick drum to the sharp attack of a snare.
- The e904 is designed specifically for drum miking, so its applications may be limited compared to more versatile microphones.
Overall Rating: 4.7/5
The Sennheiser e904 earns a high overall rating for its specialized excellence in drum miking. Its tailored design, durable construction, and precise sound capture contribute to its acclaim among drummers and audio engineers.
- A versatile dynamic microphone widely used for instrument miking, including drums.
- Known for its durability and adaptability to various sound sources.
- Specifically designed for kick drums, providing a tailored low-frequency response.
- Features a cardioid polar pattern for focused sound capture.
- Another popular choice for kick drums, with a tailored frequency response for low-frequency reproduction.
- Durable build suitable for live and studio environments.
The Sennheiser e904 stands out as a reliable and specialized tool for drum miking. With its purpose-built design, durable construction, and precision in capturing drum sounds, it has become a go-to choice for drummers and audio professionals alike. While its application is specific, for those seeking excellence in drum miking, the Sennheiser e904 proves to be a valuable and dependable asset in the world of audio recording and live sound reinforcement.
You Might Also Like These: