The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x has long been a staple in the audio industry, known for its exceptional sound quality and professional-grade build. In this comprehensive review, we will delve into the specifications, outline the pros and cons, provide an overall rating, suggest similar products, and address frequently asked questions about the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.
- Type: Closed-back, Over-ear
- Driver Size: 45mm
- Frequency Response: 15Hz – 28kHz
- Impedance: 38 ohms
- Sensitivity: 99dB
- Weight: 285g (10 oz) without cable
- Cable Lengths: 1.2m – 3m (3.9ft – 9.8ft), straight and coiled
- Connector: 3.5mm jack with 1/4″ adapter
Pros and Cons:
- Exceptional Sound Quality: The ATH-M50x offers a balanced and accurate sound profile, making it an excellent choice for both casual listening and professional audio work.
- Comfortable Fit: The plush earpads and adjustable headband ensure a comfortable listening experience, even during extended sessions.
- Detachable Cable: The detachable cable allows for easy replacement and customization, enhancing the longevity of the headphones.
- Collapsible Design: The headphones can be folded, making them more portable and suitable for on-the-go use.
- Durable Build: Built with robust materials, the ATH-M50x is designed to withstand the demands of professional use.
- Slightly Heavy: At 285g, the ATH-M50x may be considered slightly heavy for extended periods of use, especially for some users.
- Limited Soundstage: Due to their closed-back design, the headphones may not provide as expansive a soundstage as open-back models.
Overall Rating: 4.8/5
The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x continues to be a standout choice for audio enthusiasts and professionals alike, thanks to its exceptional audio quality, comfort, and versatility.
- Sony MDR-7506: Renowned in the industry, the MDR-7506 offers accurate sound reproduction and is a popular choice among recording professionals.
- Sennheiser HD 660 S: Known for their reference-grade audio, the HD 660 S headphones are favored by audiophiles and studio professionals.
- Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro: These studio headphones deliver balanced audio and exceptional comfort, making them a strong contender.
The Audio-Technica ATH-M50x lives up to its reputation as a premium set of headphones. Whether you’re a music producer, a mixing engineer, or an avid listener, these headphones are a reliable choice for an immersive audio experience.
Q1. Can the earpads be replaced on the ATH-M50x?
Yes, the earpads on the ATH-M50x are replaceable, allowing users to extend the lifespan of their headphones.
Q2. Do the ATH-M50x headphones come with a carrying case?
Yes, a protective carrying pouch is included with the ATH-M50x, enhancing their portability and protection during travel.
Q3. Are these headphones suitable for bass-heavy music genres?
Absolutely, the ATH-M50x provides a clear and powerful bass response, making them well-suited for bass enthusiasts and genres that rely on strong low frequencies.